Monday, February 20, 2012

Stereotype Sundays: "What My Friends Think I Do"


Many of you have probably seen these pictures floating around Facebook. This one I especially like, obviously. Each tile represents a certain sorority stereotype. While some of these may be offensive, I am a strong believer in humor. Starting this week I will post every Sunday for Stereotype Sundays, with this picture in mind. Also, I can answer questions about sorority stereotypes that you might have.

Logically, I’ll start with the first picture. Each week I will address a new tile representing a stereotype. The first tile is titled “What My Friends Think I Do.” This tile isn’t a total stereotype, but perhaps an exaggeration.

It is true that all sororities perform rituals and have secrets, but as a sister I can’t talk about that too much. It’s a secret. What I can shed light on is that rituals are not sacrificial or scary. We do not pray to Greek gods or speak in tongues. Perhaps an outsider would deem it bizarre or odd, but to us they are normal. Rituals usually include songs, candlelight, and lots of hugging. Normal right? The point is rituals aren’t crazy and kept secretive because they’d be frowned upon in society. They’re just kept secret because they are each organizations own traditions. Most traditions are ones of at least 100 years if not more.

Associated with sorority rituals are the secrets of a sisterhood. The secretive sisterhood is a true stereotype. There are things that no one can know about each sorority. Only members can posses this knowledge.
These two stereotypes show that there is some truth to the photo but also that it’s an exaggeration. Exaggerations lead to misrepresentations and confusion. Don’t exaggerate.

No comments:

Post a Comment